Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son had a concussion in Sept. and has just now returned to sports and is still having cognitive issues and seeing a neurologist. It's no joke people, it's their life.

When our son had a concussion, the neurologist scared the heck out of us. I had no idea a concussion- just one and not even major- could have life long effects. My son also experienced "cognitive" issues- no other signs except a headache for two days. It is really important to have baseline data and any athlete should do so. Knowing what I know now, I would never have let my son go back out there to play- even though the coaches checked his eyes, speech etc. dr told us- one hit to the head- no question- no more play- it is going back out that does the bigger damage- not necessarily the first hit. I wish schools would hire these drs to give speeches to coaches and parents because too many aren't willing to sit the kid out if there are no physical signs with the eyes etc. we didn't catch my sons issues until 2 days later when he was doing school work- dr had rushed an MRI and that's when we learned all about concussions. I hope your son is okay and keep telling your story- it's an important one and will save someone from lasting effects. I wish I heard it before we lived it. We are thankful all turned out ok.

Our youth football program put on a "concussion symposium" for the parents. As presenters they had the head of neurology from Winthrop Hospital as well as a number of other concussion experts and athletic trainers. They worked very hard to put it together. It was one of the most informative presentations I have been to regarding youth sports. I would say about 20 people showed up. We must have 400 kids in the program. We have more people show up for a scrimmage game or a bake sale. This is such an important topic and most parents seem to blow it off. I hope your son has recovered well.