The point isn't 19 year old seniors playing against 18 year old seniors or a matter of a few months age spreads. People get upset when there are 14 year olds out there with 12 year olds. Or 16 year olds against 14 year olds on the same "level" grade playing field in the grade where recruiting is extremely consequential. The response to that is can't beat em so join em and pony up prep school tuitions. Be for or be against, but nobody can argue it is fair for the kids who go the straight line. The integrity of the sport is just gone, and this is not a spiteful point. And really, why is there even an argument against age based club play? Let me answer that one for you: the reclass kids lose a forum to look good. No college coach goes to HS games in spring during their own season. The only place to show your stuff in games live before coaches is club ball. If it was 16 year old ninth grader against all other 16 year olds, I really don't believe that the 9th grader looks comparatively better in most instances. With grade based play he will. There is a huge difference between being a 16 and being a 14 year old. Much bigger than in later teens and twenties with the two year spread.

My 14 year old 9th grader last spring started varsity and most of the players guarding him here in maryland were 19 year old seniors or 18 year old juniors. He competed well and played well but took a brutal beating and had lingering injuries all summer. So pardon me when I call this holdback scam a sissy game.