Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
In football part of the bargain is remaining an elite recruit. Not nearly all the top recruits go early, in fact most wait it out to decide since there are no relative better deals. Every D1 football scholarship is a full scholarship. Yes, D1 football coaches will drop an offer when they see a kid who for any reason got off the rails with school, found trouble but also if they just didn't stick with the training and it shows up on the field. Happens in the biggest real sport. As lacrosse catches up toward being a real D1 sport with the same pressures on coaches to win, you will see early recruits who don't pan out getting dropped before an NLI. I'm pretty cautious with our son to let him know there is a bargain he needs to meet in the classroom and on the field, and he would not want to be the kid who walked around as an early commit for three years only to see himself set aside to make room for a kid who outworked him for the spot. I don't see this as over until the NLI and until then being a commit is a nice accolade but not one to rest for one moment on.

Although I do not see lacrosse ever being a true revenue sport, the pressure on coaches to win will be there. That will lead to lacrosse recruiting going the same way as football recruiting with multiple changes in commitments, last minute changes, and photo op events at NLI signings. "Poaching" has begun and will expand. As most players and parents understand, the real hard work begins upon a verbal commitment. The pressure to perform under scrutiny, maintain or improve grades, and continue to improve as a player all increase at that time. Nothing is cast until the NLI is signed.

My son has not yet verbally committed yet but I have a question to those whose kid(s) have verbally committed - does the school condition that committment on anything? E.G., maintain a certain GPA? Minimum SAT/ACT score? Thanks