Originally Posted by Anonymous
People, play the odds. How many kids had a coach screw them after a verbal? One guys knows one, another person said it happens all the time.

I have been around for years and never have seen this happen. If fact, coaches that have changed have honored previous player verbals.

I have seen where a kid screwed up legally, and one where SAT didn't get where needed to be, but other than that they are honored for year one. After that it is prove yourself.

ANyone who says different and believes it is simply wrong. The earlier the commit, the larger the $ is absolutely true.

Your post is only partially correct: it does happen all the time, quietly and brutally, in lacrosse and in every other non-revenue sport. Athletic merit resets, coaching changes, non-revenue sport operating and other budget changes. Did you know there is one ACC lacrosse program that was not fully funded 6 years ago? Probably not, but here is a hint, they won NCAAs last year. The only sports where 4 year deals are sacred are men's football, then men's and women's basketball.

A coach promised your son a certain deal? FACT!!! ? Great. You don't think coaches can change their minds or maybe you are running too far with the assumptions you have? Every non-revenue coach has to re-shuffle scarce resources every year. The earlier the commit the bigger the year one dollars? Sure, I will give you that point but the point goes no further. Anyone telling you different is selling you something not true. Your son's deal for the first year is likely solid, but not certainly solid if it is a specific money promise today. Those promises get broken all the time for one reason: coaches need to win and to win off the heels of a challenge to their program or job means changes. It's the winning business, not remember what I promised a lacrosse Dad business. Try calling your son's D1 coach AFTER he is enrolled to engage some unhurried and folksy 20-30 minute phone calls you were humored with during recruiting. They won't happen. The winning business leaves no room for it. You might have been around for years, but you are obviously nowhere near the world of running a funded D1 program and coaching for your job every year. Like my cousin who WAS a D1 coach. Lot of these kids and their parents are in for some very rude reality in a few years. Daddy and club coach can't fix it for you, so beware at the gates if you can't handle it.