Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
High Point is tied for 1st place in US News' 2015 rankings in the Regional College South category.
Go to Charlotte, Atlanta or Raleigh and you will see a much stronger alumni network from the SOCON schools than you will from Patriot, Big East or other northern conferences. It is important for your son to consider where he wants to live when he grows up. Charlotte with BofA and Wells is a big financial services center, Raleigh with the Research Triangle Park houses Lenovo, IBM and a lot of other tech as well as pharma companies. Most Rankings of best places to live include a laundry list of the suburbs for these cities.

Do you realize how few people outside of your area code even know what SOCON stands for? I had to look it up, and I live in the state next to you. Ok, ok, you can go to High Point and interview in a city less than 100 miles away to find employers who have heard of it. I am pretty sure you would recognize Lehigh, Villanova and Seton Hall as the names of universities and likely know where those schools without the help of a map. The point is if a kid in North Carolina wants a 4 year degree, there is UNC, NC State, East Carolina, UNC Wilmington, UNC Charlotte...all of which cost less than $10K a year and are better 4 year schools in terms of reputation and standing than High Point which is a private school that costs same as say Georgetown or Duke. No employers struggle to recognize those schools. College is a crippling financial burden for average families. It has to be worth the investment.