Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am absolutely serious, if any school calls as a freshman we will visit, but my kids will not commit ANYWHERE until the end of their junior year (at the earliest). Because then I will be comfortable with the decision and I will feel like they will be going somewhere that will be a good fit. Before that it is too risky. And trust me, if your kid is good enough, they will wait. Because, if they are not, an early commitment would be a REALLY bad idea. This, but the class will be filled crap is nothing but a scare tactic, they will make room for a kid that they want (even if that mean bumping little Johnny that "committed" when he was 12!
Been there, done that, trust me!

I hope it works out well. I have three sons, what I thought when they were toddlers and what I think now are very, very different.

I can imagine the family atmosphere if the coach at Harvard makes an offer at 15 and Daddy insists junior passes until he is a junior. I'm sure Johnny will continue to be so talented as a junior he will have his pick of the rest, but if his heart was set on Harvard…there could be some bitterness later on if he ends up at his #10 choice because other very talented kids were willing to jump the gun.

On one hand I completely agree that recruiting so early is completely insane. On the other hand, nothing is guaranteed in this world, and at some point kids need to make their own decisions. I would never push my kid to commit to a school even if I thought it was the opportunity of a lifetime, but I would not prevent them from doing so either. Would I like to turn back the clock and have this all occur late Junior or early senior year, absolutely! I'd also love it if popular music wasn't so graphic, but I am not going to be successful limiting my kid' iPods to music by Pat Boone.

I have prepared my son with the possibilities, that he could be dropped, he could get better offers, or that he could go and never step his foot on the field. He understands that all those scenarios are beyond his control, he is focused on academic opportunity and his future not lacrosse.

Wow, has he been accepted? If so, that is awesome! To get into Harvard as a 9th grader is pretty impressive!

You commit to the application process, not accepted.......yet