Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am certainly not picking on IVY, but the jacka** picking on the kid that chose Highpoint needs to take a step back off of his high horse.

Not everyone wants or needs IVY. Most IVY don't go on to get an MBA from WHarton...and the schmuck that said that most IVY kids make $500k per year is clearly out of touch with reality.

Interview for Wall St every day and the pile is thick with IVY for entry level jobs. they don't have MBA and clearly no special skill, just another kid straddled with huge debt for the next ten years.

I interview college graduates at a Wall Street firm, representing my line of business in evaluating candidates for the capital markets rotation program. Candidates will meet with someone from each LOB; equities, commodities, etc. After all candidates are seen, the LOB reps will meet to discuss each candidate and make a final hiring recommendation to human resources.

Never has the school been the deciding factor in the final decision. Never has an Ivy candidate been chosen because of that degree. In fact, an Ivy degree didn't give the candidate an edge. Instead, each candidate was evaluated on their educational achievements, finance related extracurricular activities, passion for the business, market knowledge, etc. Often, the non-Ivy candidates had a better resume and attitude. It always came down to the person and not the school.

Ensuring that your children are well rounded and motivated people is the key to their success, not the school they attend. Yes, strive for the best, always, but there are many factors that lead to success in business.

Good lord, finally some real world factual information about Schools and Wall Street. Thank you for your eloquent insightful advice, based in fact and reality!

Very good associate of mine was a two time national champion IVY grad. He got into our program based on his abilities ....and...at every interview he had; the interviewer was more interested in his athletics than anything else.

We started him at 350k. That was 10 years ago.

Bam! Sign me up.