Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think the "too many teams" issue is certainly not unique to Long Island. It exist in Westchester/Fairfield as well and probably in the other "Hot Beds" as well. I am not sure how to control the problem other than you need to be an educated consumer. I happen to agree with the post the focus now seems to be on "winning" tournaments as opposed to developing players. If you are from LI and go to a tournament in Baltimore, you probably spend 12 hours driving to play probably 3 productive hours of lacrosse. Don't you think the kids would be better off having 2 productive 2 hour practices a day with another LOCAL team and then scrimmaging?

It also comes down to the needs to get noticed, hence the drive to MD to play our club and others. If course the kids would be better players having a higher density of training and local scrimmaging. Dom, Petro and all say "doin' my job to find the best players at these tournaments, and have to keep doin' it earlier and earlier to keep my program up at the top" so we all do this thing. I privately wonder when it is going to occur to the D1 coaches that they are watching a lower and lower caliber of play each season with this class and the ones after it. Programs like UVa and JHU will do well so long as they grab the best RELATIVE SCALE players in the 2017 class. My point is that kids after that 2014 and 2015 HS class year era just seem to be on a regressive scale. The landscape in lacrosse keeps changing fast as many IL Preps and other gurus like to note. When will the landscape move to adjust back to truly ELITE club play again? I miss seeing the quality and feel bad that my 2017 and his younger brother won't experience it. It just isn't enough to play a couple of 2 day smash and grabs like Showtime or JR to get high level play back into the blood of these boys.