Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous]Canada and USA high schools differ in enrolment. All 1998 born players in Canada are in grade 11 which would make them a 2016. In USA a Sept to Dec born 1998 would be in grade 10 and a 2017. So Canadian kids born between Sept to Dec 1998 are technically 2017's.
Some Canadian club teams come down to tourneys with full rosters of 1998 born kids and play in 2016. Only to compete against 1997 born players and some 1996's that have reclassed.

That is true. Kindergarden is called grade 1 and then so forth and Canadian kids start school a calendar year later than US born kids do. In some US states like California, the age cut is in the fall, so October 1998 kids are 2017s.

I think the more demonstrable point was according to some at this event last weekend three "top 15" US kids, presumably local LI kids, didn't show up much and some unheard of Canadian kids played great. Any kid can have a great day or a bad day on a given day, but it does not sound to me like questioning the cronyism in the IL or Ty Xanders world is a bad thing. I wasn't there but those comments would not shock me. Ty Xanders is our local boy who will write anything for a free meal at Taco Bell.