Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am a 2012 graduate of an ACC school where I played for 2 years and decided to drop lacrosse to focus on grades. I was playing middie, but mostly as wing on face-offs and some SSDM and not two ways like I expected when being recruited. I don't have any regrets to have gone and played some and finished my degree. After both my first and my second year I had the year end player meeting with coach and was asked to take less money the next year. It didn't get to a point where I threatened to leave because I liked my choice of college, but would have it I faught it. I thought my coaches handled that professionally and were private about it. Nobody else knew your deal or new deal unless you talked about it. The coaches never would do that and treat this like a business. My advice is like Mr. Miller's. Love your school and not your deal and you will be a lot better off than hoping everything promised to you in high school works out. I had a team mate win the Tewaaraton and NO he did not get more than 50% until his last year when he went to 75%, and I only know that because we were roomies and he trusted us to know. It is not all good if you show up and don't do a lot on a 40% to 70% initial deal. It happened to me and be humble, it can happen to your son too. The good news is he won't be kicked out of a good school and can get a degree thanks to lacrosse helping. Be a little humble lax Dad.

Great post and excellent perspective from someone who's lived it.
One question: Are you saying it is or isn't a business?

IMHO, the coach feeds his family, pays his mortgage and saves for his kids college education off the salary he receives from Lacrosse. I believe if you keep this in mind, you'll know the kinds of decisions these guys will make. It is crystal clear in my mind that they will do what is best for the team (business) at the expense of, or to the detriment of mine or anyone else's kid, every single time. Might seem cold, but how can you think of it any other way?