Originally Posted by Anonymous
[How do you know? Have you spoken to the kid or his family? Could it be that Cornell is over his head and he would rather a higher gpa at High Point? Could he want to be a teacher or police officer and thus could not justify the additional debt at Cornell? Could he not want to shovel snow before practice or play February games in Ithaca? Maybe he got an offer he couldn't refuse or maybe he fell in love with the High Point campus. Or better yet, maybe he just couldn't stand being around people like you for 4 years, not everyone wants to take over the world. Considering the kid goes to one of the toughest high schools in the country, I'd say it's fair to assume that he and his family put a lot of thought into this decision and came away with High Point being the best decision for him. I guess they should have called you first though…

Or maybe he just wants to work for a IVY grad. [/quote]

Could be High Point offers a major he is interested in, could be financial, could be the kid wants a life out of academics. I have a bunch of relatives who went to Ivy schools. Some are successful, two are chronically unemployed (one Yale, one Princeton). have no clue how to manage personal finances and always think they are too good for every job they are offered. At 40 plus still have student debt. An Ivy education not for everyone and it is not a guarantee of success, especially if you are miserable while attending. Be happy the kid left a spot for your kid! [/quote]

I'll have my kid take his chances in life with an IVY degree, You have fun chasing down a McJob for your son after he has an awesome lax bro time at Lax U.[/quote]

Thanks dude, my kid is attending a service academy. I'll take that education, life experience and opportunity over an Ivy, guess what so will most employers. [/quote]

The point of the discussion was choosing High Point over Cornell. Now you are suggesting that the service academies are better than High Point as well as the IVYs. Good luck to your son.