Originally Posted by Anonymous
So what happens with the Ivys? Since they wait until the kids have a year of grades and possibly an SAT under their belt, do kids that really want to go Ivy just sit and turn down other colleges? I can only imagine the stress of having offers from ND and VA, but wanting to see if the IVY of your choice is interested. Do the Ivy coaches talk to the kids prior, and give an indication if they are interested in the kids? I know there have been a lot of recent transfers and one or two kids that have decommitted to a school in favor of another, but I would hate to think that decommitting would become a trend. Any idea how this works?

Decommittimg is going to start happening more and more, on both ends. Kids and colleges should NOT be making these decisions before the end of their Junior/start of their Senior year. I would be curious to see how many of the real early commits end up being happy with their school of choice!

No school will de-commit. Think about it, if said school de-commits a kid for a better player, why would any top player ever commit to that school again for the foreseeable future? Injury or bad grades, off field issues it can happen, just talent wise? Doubtful. Interestingly, the schools who commit so early are taking all the risk. The kid can do whatever he wants. Many schools are now continuing to recruit committed kids. I believe, over time we will see a pull back on this very early committing.

It is very unlikely that a school will de-commit. More likely, if they see someone else they like better, they will just continue to add to the class list and let the players react. For example, a list of 15 players for the 2017 class at a particular school would tell me that maybe someone may not see some playing time. The players will figure it out and act on their own.

This is just another way of de-committing, but in not a blatant way. If this trend of early recruiting continues you will see lots of unhappy players and coaches in the future. I am sorry, you have no idea who is going to be the best 4 years from now, and while players and parents get all excited because a school wants them when they are 14 years old, it really means nothing.