Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous]So much for us idiots that went to mediocre colleges, worked our asses off, made big money and saved it for our kids college educations. This countrs backwards. There is no reason you should be handed that kind of money, go work! What an absolute disgrace, welfare for education... Disgusting.

Did you walk to school barefoot through the snow too? I messed around with this thing and put in a hypothetical $300K income and $150K in other assets to see what output was. It came back with over $15K in aid. The cut for richest 1% in the US is about $200K a year.

It looks like this school has indexed tuition. You'd need a pretty high income to not get some discount. Consider it a bonus if your kid goes to this school instead of some other private college...Hofstra ain't got one of these calculators.

No moron, I didn't walk barefoot through snow. However, my summers were filled with 80-100 hour work weeks. From HS through college. I also had blue collar parents who knew the value of education and paid my tuition. I paid for everything else. We didn't need to rely on government handouts. Sorry, but your kids educational aspirations shouldn't come at mine or my families expense. I know, these are crazy notions right? Here's an idea, how about one price for everyone? Then the price would be $20k a year instead of $60k for those that can "afford" it and free for the mutt that didn't save a nickel for his kids education. You know, because those "rich" folks don't "need" that $240,000. Why not price cars, houses and everything else based on YOUR ability to pay??? You want a new I think it is great that schools like Princeton have alumni that want to help send the best of the best to school. To be the best means you DO WORK YOUR [lacrosse] OFF and there is a reward at the end. Just because you worked hard and it paid off, does not mean it does for everyone. What about the blue collar worker that works 80 hours a week, and yet cannot afford to pay for three kids to go to college such as Princeton? Does this guy not work hard? Yet, if his kid works hard, like he does, there is a reward- endowments, scholarships aid, to help his three kids get into the best school they can make. My son wants to go to Princeton. I told him no- we cannot afford a school as such. Then we did learn about the various ways Princeton and some other big name schools help out the students, far more so than other schools. My son is not yet in HS- yet his aspirations are HIGH and he works round the clock on his academics, and travel sports teams. I would love to see my son land in one of these type of schools where they are rewarded for their hard work to get there. And yes, like a previous poster said, half of it may luck or connections in being successful. Good luck to you and your son.

Your so dumb, its mind numbing. If there weren't different prices for different people the price would be about $15-20k a year. Those paying full price would not have to subsidize those going for free... Get it now?

You're an idiot. Who cares if Princeton has a price tag of $60,000 or even $200,000 a year and indexes it down by income. Tuition indexing is fairly common among private colleges and at some prep schools, and what happens is people pay what the computer says they can afford. Sons or daughters of school teachers or mid-level white collar workers can be perfect kids at what they do and deserve their shot. What is wrong with that? I think it is admirable that some colleges say we want the best and the brightest students and future leaders and will grant kids who qualify. That sounds like a strategy to get the best and brightest like President Obama or President Clinton from where they came, not a subsidy. A subsidy is admissions spots and need based grants going to kids who are not necessarily the best or brightest, like lacrosse players. Parents like you should be grateful that Ivy schools consider recruited athletes to be worth exceptions.