Originally Posted by Anonymous
Serious question. If my son is currently in 8th grade, what's the best way to reclassify him to the grade below without spending $50k/year on a prep school? Luckily I can afford it but that doesn't mean that I want to part with that money. Hoping there's a cheaper way. I'm asking on this thread because I'm sure some of you have crossed this bridge and hopefully figured it out. Thanks for sharing any insights.

So, you want your son to be a cheating loser? Sad

If the only cheating is to this man's financial health why do react that way? If there is no rule against reclassifying then its not cheating. The only thing he is hurting is his checkbook. Personally, I'd like to hear a good answer to his question as I'm sure we've all thought about it at some point.

You know it's cheating. Trying to get an edge. If your kid is not good enough now, holding him back will ultimately destroy his artificially inflated self-esteem when the others catch up and put him back where he belongs. A cheating weasel like his parents! And the legit folks will love to see you get what you and your kid deserve!

Relax a little. Having a kid reclass is not always cheating. In some cases kids are really young for their grade and they are at a disadvantage academically and athletically. My son is a 2017 and hes a late November birthday so in some cases he is almost 2-3 years younger than some of the 2017's out there. So If I have him reclass and send him to Prep school I am cheating? Having said that If your son is already a hold back and hes 16, yes I agree reclassifying is definitely a little ridiculous. Every case is different and every parent must do what they think is right for their own son. Lets relax with the rhetoric. College coaches dont care what grade your son is in or if they are held back or reclassified or whatever. They want good kids, with good grades, who can play the game, plain and simple. Keep this in mind before you start spewing ignorant rhetoric.

Look how many times do we have to be told ... IT IS NOT CHEATING!

Here's how:
Enroll & repeat 8th grade at Friends or Buckley then go to the HS of your choice...that's easy.

Why not save some more dough and look to repeat 8th at a catholic (if you're in public) or repeat 8th at a public (if you're in catholic)? I'm sure you can arrange a few extra sick days this year (wink, wink). A doctor's not won't cost too much.

Why not do it again after you've done it the first time (in reverse order) so your kid can be a 16 year old Freshman.

If you play your hand well, you can save some money for a Postgrad year at Salisbury, Hotchkiss, Brunswick, etc. That way your kid is well prepared for a b-level education and lifestyle after redshirting a year at a bottom feeding cakewalk school like Highpoint or UNC. He can be 26 and graduating with a BA and an STD.

After that can you hear the Lizards calling? I can.

I say go for it - seek out and live your dreams!!!