Originally Posted by Anonymous
Agree on that. I am struggling to get some teaching moment thing through to my sons. One is a 2017 commit and one is about to go into the summer after 8th grade summer club season. When I did college sport in another sport a long tim ago my goals in high school were breaking school records, making all state, making all america, being a team captain, being nationally ranked in club version of same sport and making a junior national team. Everyone around me had goals, just not the same ones, like making varsity or starting. Those are all real things. I started thinking about a college when everyone in my high school got a wake up call and college counselor meeting scheduled in spring junior year. This sport robs the kids and the kids are robbing themselves out of doing something that is a real accomplishment. Picking a college before all your friends do is not an accomplishment. I don't even consider getting a partial athletic scholarship in some sport an accomplishment worth trying to live on. Starting in 7th grade all these kids care about is a college verbal and that is all most adults who are supposed to be mentoring this kids care about too. Then after that is done, all the kids care about is trading up or who is changing their commitment and avoiding looking bad at all costs. I wish for something better.

I agree. However, until the NCAA and the D1 coaches put an end to this madness, it will continue to get worse. I suspect we will begin to see rising 8th grade commits in the not too distant future...