Originally Posted by Anonymous
Its not the exception it is the rule. What happens to any commit if the coach is let go before the kid starts? The new coach has his own agenda and your kid may not be one of them. Read about David Sills the USC early commit for football., he committed in 8th grade. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Sills_(American_football)

Currently Penn state football scholarships offered by Bill Obrien may not be honored by the new head coach from Vandy. Its a business, treat it as such.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sport...nked_after_one_year_for_any_reason_.html

According to a report in the Cleveland Plain Dealer, some schools opposed multiyear scholarships because they could “[reduce] the flexibility of a new coach to get rid of players who didn't fit his style.”

So ALL these links/reports about the disasters of early committing, is this the venting process you people have because your kids aren't on the radar of being a D1 commit?? Any of us that our kids are already committed aren't posting this stuff.

When your son is REALLY being recruited by a school you are WELL AWARE of the risk. You are also aware that the same risk a H.S freshman has with early committing is the exact same risk a H.S. Jr. has!!! Coaches being fired or coaches quitting or your sons grades start to flop etc. Its actually TOUGHER if you lose a spot at a JR or SR as opposed to a freshman, because those spots when your older are already filled.

FACT: if your son had the chance to early commit to a great school with a legit D1 lacrosse program, you would embrace it also.

Actually, no, I am a former college coach (who left college coaching because I wanted to raise a family and I didn't feel the lifestyle of a coach would work for my family). My sons are younger, but I will not have them commit early because I just am not comfortable with that. If a program really wants them, they will wait. If not, it wasn't the right fit. I just don't think this early committing is good for either end, players or coaches. Unfortunately, programs started it, and other progrms felt pressured to jump on the bandwagon. When you are late in your junior year (for a spring sport) it is time to make a serious desision about a college and a program, not sooner. Let's pretend you are a goalie and you really want to play, but the program you are interested in (and they are also interested in you) has a starting goalie who is a freshmen, would you want to go there? Probably not, but if there starting goalie is a junior, then yes, it would be a good fit. I realize a goalie is a special position, but you get the idea. I don't know how you decide what team you want to be part of, then the team (if you are being recruited as a 9th grader) won't even be there when you arrive on campus. Now, let's talk picking a school as a 14 year old, how is that possible? You barely know what you want as a 17 year old, but these are big decisions to make and I just think you are too young to have any clue what you really want as an 18 year old. Heck, the kid may decide they don't even want to make that commitment to play a sport! So, my kids will wait to decide and the coaches that respect that decision, will have a chance of getting them, those that don't, well, it wasn't meant to be.

Oh please!! You're telling me that if a Duke or Harvard or notre Dame call and want your son, you're gonna say NO!! Have you lost your mind??

Correct. And its not just those 3 great schools & lax programs. Take a look at just the email the express sent on those 14 or 15 commits in 2017 class from their club, all GREAT SCHOOLS & legit D1 lacrosse. Very impressive list, congrats to those boys.