Originally Posted by Anonymous

No are you kidding? One of my other kids is an actor, all the parents who think precious will get a big break from somewhere other than the usual channels end up with creeps pursuing their kid. Like Lindsey Lohan's mama, turned a nice little girl into a mess because mama wanted fame.

Maybe you can get your son a sleepover at Ty's. Too bad your kid didn't play football, I hear Penn State's coach took a special interest in certain boys. Seems like kids have been recruited for years without Ty posting names and roosters. Why start now? It is creepy. Guess you need your kids name on the internet. The THRILL!

BTW: my kid is committed, and we haven't published it anywhere. His future coach, his family and our club coaches know. His friends know. Ty does not know.

Tell me again what the advantage is? Do you think D1 coaches are trolling Ty's site for kid's names? "Ohhh Bobby Smith from Big Club got published on Ty's site BETTER snap him up!!!"

Sadly, it is not just Ty anymore. 3d rising, TopLax recruits and a host of others all put together their own "impressive" or "highlight" players lists from their own events. All of this info has really diluted the impact and value of this sort of this information. Just goes to further show the politics involved and the self serving nature of this "news" for the public.

What it really goes to show is how the internet age has eliminated any barriers to entry to the information business. In some cases, this is a great thing, but often it's a case of too much of a good thing. As consumers of this news, it's up to us to validate, or not, the source.

We have brought this on ourselves. The typical lacrosse parent (myself included) does not want to be left out of the mix. Therefore when someone tweets about a great prospect or the latest D1 commit we eat it up. “What club does he play for?” “Maybe my kid should switch to that club.” “What tournament was he just in?” “What showcases did he go to?” Although your son may not be a legitimate D1 prospect (mine included) we dare not ignore any of these things for fear of missing out on an opportunity. The exposure of these well deserving players in social media helps to continue to promote the idea that if your son is not on the D1 radar somewhere, you as a parent, are not doing enough.

The truth of the matter is in most cases we are doing way too much.

How many clubs are fielding A level teams that are not really at that level? Why? Because we want our sons playing on an A team to give them the best chance for recruitment.

How many clinics do you get solicited for? Probably enough for each night of the week. Why? Because we continue to sign our sons up for them because we want to give them the best chance for recruitment.

How many prospect camps do we get invitations for? Are they legitimate invitations or money grabs? I don’t know but we send our sons just in case because we want to give them the best chance for recruitment.

How many showcases have you enrolled your son in? Why? Because we want to give them the best chance for recruitment.

If your son is a true D1 prospect, at this point you know it. You will probably continue to do these things because you are seeing results and therefore must be on the right path.

If your son is a marginal D1 prospect you will probable continue to do these things because maybe the next one puts him over the top.

If your son is not a legitimate D1 prospect, you will probably continue to do these things any way because that’s what everyone else is doing and you don’t want to be left out. (Or you do not realize he is in this category).

As a parent of a good player who probably falls into the third category it’s difficult to not buy into these things. Every player is different and each parent needs to approach this in a way that is best for their son. The frenzy that gets stirred up after each tournament or after each commitment announcement makes it more difficult.

Who ultimately benefits in the end? We all know that answer. We right their names on checks each season.