Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
No, AS is not a factor. Just took a quick look at the Under Armour Rosters over the years (2006 - 2022) Long Island has averaged about 8 girls per year, anywhere from 3 to 13 girls.

Thank you. So, not playing on the UA Command or Highlight team matters? Who chooses? AS was not around until the last couple of years. If a girl chooses to do AS over UA, I was wondering if that affects her chances to become a UA all American?

Just an FYI........Under Armour is not affiliated anymore with the All American anymore, I am pretty sure they are getting out of Lacrosse equipment manufacturing as well. All these regional events are not make or break for anyone. To answer your question, every team had a staff of 2-3 usually club coaches who typically took many of their own club players and a few of the standouts from the tryouts. College coaches know this and take the rostering with a grain of salt. I assume American Select is much the same from what I can tell. It looks like they have some regions with multiple teams. Anyone who thinks these All Star regional events carry any significant weight are kidding themselves. They are just another showcase. For standout players on lower tiered teams it offers them a chance to play with some upgraded competition to see how they stack up. For average players on any tiered teams it gives their parents something to chew on and show their friends & family. For standout players on top tier teams it gives them a chance to show why they are special. Not really sure why they make a big deal out of the "selection process". Anyone who has been to more than a few tryouts knows how it works. Very political with very few breaking thru to the rosters. Spare me the your kid didn't make it nonsense. I am not a disgruntled parent. I have 1st hand experience with all the above scenarios I outlined. Bottom line is there are many kids who should be at these events that are not and even more that should not be that are. Does that make it a money grab? I don't know or care, I'm sure everyone that play gets some benefit, great experience, meet new kids, play with different kids etc. IMHO the bottom line is I doubt that participating in these events impacts an individuals recruiting prospects all that much for the majority of the kids that get selected. Chances are they have already been vetted by their club coach and college coaches during their tournament games.