Originally Posted by Anonymous
Agree with this. This is a 2024 thread as our daughters begin the recruiting process and not bashing other clubs would be a great start. There are parents on here that are not from LI if you can believe that and we do not care about the politics in your area. If you had an older daughter and have something of value to add that is great, but let's keep it to current opportunities for 2024's. Many parents are just trying to navigate the process and bounce ideas off other parents and egt feedback on camps and clinics.

Take it or leave it…. From someone who has been through it multiple times.

1 - Do not rely on Club (use the club as a resource but do not rely on them) reach out to anyone you know who might have a relationship with a coach at a school that your daughter is interested in (club director, club coach, Hs coach, current/former player at the school etc…)

2 - Identify and list a number of schools that your daughter would like to attend (and play lacrosse).
I would recommend going on the NCAA Lacrosse website, go to rankings, select RPI (you will see all of the schools that have Varsity Lacrosse. You can do it for DI, II and III. I would start with a large number.

2 - Develop a plan and help your daughter “market” herself to the schools. Email each coach (head coach as well as assistant coaches at each school) introducing herself and expressing her interest in the school and the program. Be persistent without being obnoxious / annoying. Update the coaches from time to time making them aware of what events she will be at, new film available, etc…

3 - make sure that your daughter understands that coaches look at things other than scoring a goal.
- always hustle off the field, never react negatively to a teammate I.e. if she gives a perfect pass to her teammate and she drops it do not react in a negative way. If she is a middlie be sure to hustle back ( sprint) to get on defense (it’s okay to trail the play when going on offense, it’s not okay to jog back to play defense). If she plays attack redefend with as much if not more effort than when going to the goal. If she is a defender slide with conviction, talk/communicate and never show dejection if she gets beat 1v1 . Teach her that it is the next play that matters just like a goalie. Every goalie let’s in shots and every defensive player gets beat.

Stay positive when her team is losing, fight harder when things are not going well, encourage her teammates when they make a bad play, pat them on the back, pick them up. Fight like heck for ground balls.

Make the right play I.e. if the right thing to do is move the ball then move the ball… if the right thing to do is clear space then clear space, if the right thing to do is go to goal then go to goal.

Unless your daughter is one of the best 50 - 100 players in the country the little things are what will make the difference. (Actually, in many cases it is all of those little things that make the difference for many of those top 50 caliber girls).

In recent years I can think of two # 1 ranked recruits that were not big goal scorers , they were all around solid midfielders who did a lot of their work between the 30’s, played good defense and were very smart players who hustled all over the field. Many parents (scratched their heads) But every coach in the country wanted them.

4 - have some reach schools but remember the recruiting process will generally tell your daughter where she stands. Help her to stay positive as other players commit or her dream school does not express interest. Be willing to engage with any school / coach that expresses interest. If a school/coach expresses interest and your daughter is not interested look to schools with the same caliber of lacrosse program that she might be interested in and reach out. Do not turn your nose up, do not burn bridges, coaches, especially assistant coaches move around. Engage with any and all coaches who express interest.

5 - do not base everything around lacrosse!!!!
For example , if your daughter wants UNC, UVA, MD, PSU, Florida, Michigan but she is not at that level look at similar schools that have strong Club Programs . It’s about education, experience and
best fit.

6 - the process is very fluid, every time a player commits there are a bunch of coaches out there adjusting their lists and priorities. As players are taken off the board other players move up on coaches lists.

7 - remember the process is different for everyone, help her to stay positive and to keep an open mind.
This crazy process is a life lesson, learn and grow throughout journey and try to enjoy the ride.

Yes, I know it was long but hopefully it is helpful to some.

Best of luck