Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by SAT1234
No, AS is not a factor. Just took a quick look at the Under Armour Rosters over the years (2006 - 2022) Long Island has averaged about 8 girls per year, anywhere from 3 to 13 girls.

Thank you. So, not playing on the UA Command or Highlight team matters? Who chooses? AS was not around until the last couple of years. If a girl chooses to do AS over UA, I was wondering if that affects her chances to become a UA all American?

Just an FYI........Under Armour is not affiliated anymore with the All American anymore, I am pretty sure they are getting out of Lacrosse equipment manufacturing as well. All these regional events are not make or break for anyone. To answer your question, every team had a staff of 2-3 usually club coaches who typically took many of their own club players and a few of the standouts from the tryouts. College coaches know this and take the rostering with a grain of salt. I assume American Select is much the same from what I can tell. It looks like they have some regions with multiple teams. Anyone who thinks these All Star regional events carry any significant weight are kidding themselves. They are just another showcase. For standout players on lower tiered teams it offers them a chance to play with some upgraded competition to see how they stack up. For average players on any tiered teams it gives their parents something to chew on and show their friends & family. For standout players on top tier teams it gives them a chance to show why they are special. Not really sure why they make a big deal out of the "selection process". Anyone who has been to more than a few tryouts knows how it works. Very political with very few breaking thru to the rosters. Spare me the your kid didn't make it nonsense. I am not a disgruntled parent. I have 1st hand experience with all the above scenarios I outlined. Bottom line is there are many kids who should be at these events that are not and even more that should not be that are. Does that make it a money grab? I don't know or care, I'm sure everyone that play gets some benefit, great experience, meet new kids, play with different kids etc. IMHO the bottom line is I doubt that participating in these events impacts an individuals recruiting prospects all that much for the majority of the kids that get selected. Chances are they have already been vetted by their club coach and college coaches during their tournament games.
Originally Posted by SAT1234
No, AS is not a factor. Just took a quick look at the Under Armour Rosters over the years (2006 - 2022) Long Island has averaged about 8 girls per year, anywhere from 3 to 13 girls.

Thank you. So, not playing on the UA Command or Highlight team matters? Who chooses? AS was not around until the last couple of years. If a girl chooses to do AS over UA, I was wondering if that affects her chances to become a UA all American?

Just an FYI........Under Armour is not affiliated anymore with the All American anymore, I am pretty sure they are getting out of Lacrosse equipment manufacturing as well. All these regional events are not make or break for anyone. To answer your question, every team had a staff of 2-3 usually club coaches who typically took many of their own club players and a few of the standouts from the tryouts. College coaches know this and take the rostering with a grain of salt. I assume American Select is much the same from what I can tell. It looks like they have some regions with multiple teams. Anyone who thinks these All Star regional events carry any significant weight are kidding themselves. They are just another showcase. For standout players on lower tiered teams it offers them a chance to play with some upgraded competition to see how they stack up. For average players on any tiered teams it gives their parents something to chew on and show their friends & family. For standout players on top tier teams it gives them a chance to show why they are special. Not really sure why they make a big deal out of the "selection process". Anyone who has been to more than a few tryouts knows how it works. Very political with very few breaking thru to the rosters. Spare me the your kid didn't make it nonsense. I am not a disgruntled parent. I have 1st hand experience with all the above scenarios I outlined. Bottom line is there are many kids who should be at these events that are not and even more that should not be that are. Does that make it a money grab? I don't know or care, I'm sure everyone that play gets some benefit, great experience, meet new kids, play with different kids etc. IMHO the bottom line is I doubt that participating in these events impacts an individuals recruiting prospects all that much for the majority of the kids that get selected. Chances are they have already been vetted by their club coach and college coaches during their tournament games.

I evaluated for the Midwest earlier today. UA is still sponsoring the event and we were all directed to not wear competing brands—staff were provided with UA gear to stay on brand.

These events can get political and it depends on who signs up to evaluate the players. It’s important to go in and choose the best players and sadly, some people have serious blinders on.

I can tell you that various players from Long Island and other east coast areas that didn’t make their local teams tried out on the Midwest.

I can also tell you one of the two teams was actually fairly picked and will compete well. The other will most likely fall on their faces due to some club coach shenanigans with some picks.

The one team will have a varied roster, with kids from all around the Midwest. The other will be 95% comprised of players from 3 clubs. That roster will look much like the Midwest AS roster. One team wants to go out and win, the other wants to reward their devoted club players and tout how many they can get into these events. Should be a beautiful train wreck.

For evaluations, here’s how I approached it. You really need 4, maybe 5 dedicated Defenders, 2 Goalies, 6 Attack, then the rest are mids. Criteria for any Mid or d is you must win you 1v1 matchups to start—you don’t need mids that cannot defend. If you signed up as a defender but there’s a Mid that has better D? Sorry, you probably lost your spot. Athleticism, speed, stick skills, and field vision are prized traits. If your lax IQ stinks, you don’t make the cut.

There are many players that end up on teams, like UM, etc, that never make UA. It isn’t necessary, but it helps with evaluating players if you’ve made it. If you’re playing good teams at the right events, it isn’t really necessary. Is it a fun event with some amazing lacrosse? Yes, it is. M

Coaches will evaluate players based on what their preferences are. If you know your coaches you’ll know what they recruit, what is important to them, and how to get your kid on those teams, if possible.

Feel free to ask any questions and I’ll try to answer them.

Spare us the long winded BS explanation. The AA main event is good and exciting for the girls but the selection process is total farce. Anyone who has been out there knows this. Word to anyone wondering. If you
have no affiliation with the evaluators you have very little chance of making the team. FACTS!

IMHO I would say they legitimately select 3-5 kids per team. The vast majority made the team before they ever stepped foot on the field. Anyone who doubts this is in denial. They actually let parents evaluate kids they know which is basically the
same thing as having club coaches doing it. Total conflict of interest. If you want a more legit selection process go with the UA 150. Its a much better event.

I have one question, how many kids from the 2021 Midwest Girls Command team came from the clubs that the coaches were from? I believe it to be almost all of them!

For the fact checkers here is the link to the 2021 rosters https://events.r2it.com/lacrosse/UnderArmour21/Roster/Division/Underclass
Coaches were from MN, IL, MI - its a total joke. Michigan & Minnesota girls lax player pool a fraction of OH & IL. Maybe a couple girls from Michigan and 1 or 2 kids from MN should have been on the team. I think they both had 7 or 8. It is laughable and could be one of the reasons midwest girls lax does
not get the respect it deserves from the girls LAX orbit.