Originally Posted by Anonymous
I would love to see one thing come out of this American Select vs Under Armour debate. Under Armour have 4 teams according to graduating year just like American Select, instead of only 2. I would prefer for both of the main event weekend to still be the same weekend. This would allows 8 teams of girls to play more lacrosse and been seen by more coaches. If they were on different weekend, too many to the same girls would be at both events. There is enough exposure to go around and lets continue to see the sport grow. I am sure Under Armour takes a loss for the entire event, but it would be great to see the price fall closer to the UA amount.

👍

Are you saying that you want 200 girls from long Island (class of 2024) to go play at a tournament that is billed as a "select tournament"? Why not just go to tournaments with your club team? Why pay additional money to go to just another tournament? Two teams at a given age group is one too many for the event to be considered "select" but I will concede that having only one team would leave a handful of legit players out.

Just curious, do you propose an A, B, C, D format or do you want the talent spread evenly?

I read the above as he would like to see Under Armour have 4 separate teams not a 2023,2024 team and a 2025, 2026 team. I think that would be a good idea. Sure, that probably would saturate the field with LI players, but I don't believe there should be 3 LI teams for AS either. Should be one top team. (Good luck with that)

Not sure to why I/she did it but my daughter made UA 150 and AS. She probably should have tried for the Free UA tourney, but I'm not struggling to keep a roof over our head. This is what she wanted to do, so fortunately I am able to provide that for her. Not sure which one is better for recruiting, but if your kid can play, that should take care of itself. All my kid cares about is playing, and playing against high level players. I think whatever tourney you go to UA or AS, there will be good players there.

I agree, I’m glad there is more opportunity for more girls to attend the big showcases. However, it would be nice to see a truly elite one like UA used to be in the past, to showcase the truly top regional players in one place. I think it’s getting very watered down now.

They are all starting to be much of the same, at this point. UA had the best model in the past, a true invite that was sponsored and no charge to the players. It was about showcasing talent and not padding club owners pockets. There is too much emphasis on the $s in this sport now , making it even more elitist than the past.