Originally Posted by Anonymous
Ouch!! on the comment about LI not being represented well on top D1 or high academic. .Some of the info is Iinaccurate and skewed. Somebody put a lot of time into collecting this data but seems obvious what they are trying to do…with
one of the better clubs is barely mentioned and some of the smaller clubs that generally has a few D1 recruits isn’t mentioned either..
Plus some girls on not great clubs get help from HS coaches or trainers and that isn’t represented here.
I think the point was to say certain clubs are better than others but all clubs, HS Coaches and trainers have connections. Some of the colleges know about the politics with the clubs and would rather deal with HS coaches. Clubs charge a tremendous amt of money for their guidance and aren’t always necessary.
Too clubs only have so much band width to help everyone. Too Guns and YJ have been doing this for a very long time and still are turning out great recruiting classes. And this is despite everyone trying to poach their players.. A fair amount of other clubs top recruits were these girls.
If you look at D1 rosters Long Island is still a hot bed and well represented but generally does more in the Northeast or eastern seaboard. Players are coming from all over and this trend will continue which is great for the sport.

I keep reading about "connections", do you really believe recruiting is about connections? College coaches want the best players that they can get, they want players who can help their team compete. College coaches are not offering spots to players based on connections or what club the athlete plays for.

If the data that was presented is accurate at all it proves the point that college coaches go everywhere for their recruits, they do not simply go to certain clubs where they might have a connection. That is not to say that club affiliation is not important or that the clubs have no role in the recruiting process. Clubs provide a venue for players to compete/perform and for coaches to watch in order to evaluate and identify talent. The fact of the matter is that it's really about the player, not the particular club especially when looking at the most competitive college programs.

Connections absolutely help some girls get recruited. Especially onto high end academic schools. Look at the rosters for schools like Princeton, Yale, Stanford, Harvard, etc. You will see many names of girls who are average players with big connections. These girls will never see the field, and don’t care.

You obviously do not understand how recruiting works, especially at the Ivy's and Stanford...

1 - There are many players on all teams at all levels who will never see the field.

2 - There are "average" players on all "average" teams which Harvard and Yale are.

3 - The average players at program like Princeton are there because they have incredible grades it's not because they have connections. Apparently you are not familiar with how the Academic Index works. Im sure Stanford has to balance out their recruiting class as well i.e. If Stanford's Number 1 recruit has a 92 GPA with a 29 ACT the coach will most likely need to bring in a recruit with significantly higher grades and test scores (just using random numbers, I do not know what Stanfords minimums are for athletes are) but I am pretty sure that the coach can not bring in 10 recruits all with minimum numbers.

This. Stanford has two "exemptions" per class -- girls who don't count towards AI numbers. The rest need top grades -- needs to average out to an AI of around 3.85 unweighted with 1420 SAT. So for every recruit below that, you need one higher.

Having a billionaire dad with a big name in the lax community can’t hurt either!