Originally Posted by Anonymous
I laugh at the snarky remarks about the UNC, Duke, UVA or whatever camp that attracks good players. People know that only 3-10 girls attending any quality camp may attend that school or get an offer. There are other coaches that get to talk to the girls instead of a quick peek from 50 feet away for 10 minutes at a tournament. In my humble opinion it's worth the $ for most girls to attend at least 1 good camp to see the talent level of girls from all over the country through their own eyes. You(the girl) get a real sense of who is good and where you stand after 2 days of drills and competing in small groups. All the parents believe little Jane and Suzie are top 10 talent, but the girls usually know where they really stand and can focus in on schools where they think they fit in and will be happy. After all, it is their ultimate decision, give them the tools to help with the decision.

Agreed. biggest wake up call for my first daughter was attending a major camp as an 8th grader (UVA or Duke I think). She quickly found out that there is good lax outside of long island and motivated her to work 2x as hard.