Originally Posted by Anonymous
Does anyone on here care about the girls having fun and going to a school that THEY like ? Remember its girls lacrosse and after their 4 years at a "top" school they are left with the same 4 year degree that the girls who went to a "sub" top 20 school have. Man I really got to say that I truly feel bad for some of your daughters......Life is going to throw enough garbage at them all on its own so let them enjoy this time and their college experience. They dont need the extra pressure of having daddy or mommy live through them to pound their chest and say " Look at my daughter" !!! Be proud of them and stay in the background....

Most of the parents that I know hope that lacrosse will help their daughter get into the best school possible. I think everyone wants their daughter to find the best fit so that they will be happy and have fun along the way. That said, there is nothing wrong with setting goals, giving your best and shooting for the stars. I have one that was unhappy and transferred after a semester and is now extremely happy at the new school (and might not ever see the field). Two very different schools, both very good academic schools and teams but just very different college experiences. This sport can provide opportunity to so many girls of all levels but there is nothing wrong with wanting to go to a great school or to go play for a great lacrosse program many of which are one and the same.

Thats not what i was saying. I am referring to the parents who act like that is all that matters. If their kid doesnt go to one of the top 20 schools than it doesnt matter. Those are the parents I am referring to. If you are being honest then you have to agree that the majority of the parents commenting on this site and topic come off way to aggressive about "having" to go to a top 20 school. Setting goals, looking to better yourself etc...is all good and expected if that is what your daughter wants.

The only parents that set me off are the parents who try to tear down or diminish players, clubs, teams, accomplishments, achievements, accolades, college commitments etc…

They are delusional.[/quote]

You are part of the problem if those are the only parents that bother you. The parents obsessed with top 20 and going on about the superiority of every last roster spot, turning up their noses at players who end up at “lesser” schools for lax and/or academics, is also wrong. That parent is just as annoying as the delusional parent making excuses.

The previous post is spot on. Relax and help your daughter enjoy playing and the recruiting process as much as possible, find the right fit and choose a school for the right reasons. Help her foster a good team culture with her teammates, and do the same as a parent with the other parents. It’s a lot more enjoyable that way, trust me.[/quote]

Everyone has different dreams and goals but there is absolutely nothing wrong with putting education first. It’s not a simple formula and as parents we can guide them but the child must be happy. Title 9 has created so many opportunities for these girls. So many places to play. Shoot for a high branch and see where you land. Plenty of time and sept 1 is not the end all for most. Spring and summer will be busy but enjoy it. Lax can open some doors for you but it’s just a game and should be enjoyed.

Keep it classy BOTC