Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So what is better UA or American Select?. It seems that UA had some trouble a few years back with politics , parent coaches..etc are the same people involved.?
will there will continue to be favoritism to their own clubs....?

It all depends on which one your daughter applies to and gets into. Each side will tell you the one their kid got into is the better one. UA is the old dinosaur and AS is the new upstart if you'd rather frame it that way (Blackberry vs iPhone). Not the best analogy but it's one way to look at it. It's the way some of the people in the club scene are framing it.

Personally? I'd take a look at the coaches covering the events and use that as part of the decision making progress. If there's a coach you don't like coaching one or the other event, take your pick. We did UA last year and it was good. Some teams were certainly a little down from previous years, but the Spallinas were in the UA events, I don't know that they did AS. I wouldn't be opposed to trying AS, but it does cost more and their uniforms stunk.

Flip a coin I guess.

Either one is fine as long as your daughter gets meaningful playing time and does well when she is out on the field. ALL the top coaches attended BOTH last year. They spent a day at each. What I do see was some girls who were not that good being selected and when they were on the field they showed that. Explains why they weren’t recruited by top programs. The girls from both events that stood out got plenty of offers. Bottom line is choose the event you prefer and do something on the field!