Originally Posted by Anonymous
The reclassify early in youth and then HS is disgusting in my opinion. What happens after HS and prep schools might be questionable in some instances but maybe not the one that is being currently talked about.
Stanford is a top school athletically that has extremely high academic standards. If my daughter was recruited by them and told she needed to go to prep school to get her grades up,,, well I would be a fool not to do everything humanly possible to make it happen.
Hopefully this isn’t going to be a trend so that people with modest means don’t have the pressure to keep up.
Remember we are talking about education and a game.

The boarding schools have the ability to be generous with financial aid. If the school / coach wants to admit the student athlete the school will make attendance affordable. These schools have endowments in the Hundreds of Millions in some cases maybe even in Billions. I have not seen many girls go the PG route but it is used frequently with boys. Maybe the girls just have better grades than the boys 😁.

In any event, most student athletes that choose to do a PG year do it in order to bolster their academic credentials because they already have the commitment but they don’t have the grades necessary to get accepted.