Originally Posted by Anonymous
This system needs to be fixed, there is NO way any 8th, 9th or even 10th grader knows what they want in college. I know lots of people will jump on here and say "my kid knows, and always wanted to go to ____". And, maybe that is true, but I really don't think they have ANY idea what they are actually signing up for. I don't get it, the kids/parents have all of the power, if people started saying "I'm not ready" this crazy process would slow down. IMO if you haven't had some AP courses, taken your SATs and played a year or two of varsity, you cannot realistically make a decision on a college. I just don't get it. But I am assuming, when you see 8th and 9th graders "committing" it is so the can brag about it, not because it is actually a decision that they feel good about.

hey buddy, if the opportunity is given to your child for a school you deem worthy, you would not advise your child to take it. horse crap, you will, and you still have time to change it, the power is still in your hands (if you are one of the "few" who have committed early).

Yes it is a bit more serious, but i find it crazy when people say why did you (or so-n-so) pick this school or that school, but then another student (a sr.) who goes to that same school they are praising their accomplishments and like WOW THATS GREAT, CONGRATS... you'll love it, this is what you worked hard for!!! but that early committ gets, "Like, why did you choose that school"? SMH

Many of these schools which have the early recruiting #'s are great institutions, that many non athlete's would die to go to. Sure there maybe a few better schools they could have chosen, but maybe the parents or they themselves knew why wait for a chance at harvard or yale, When I have UVA, ND, service academy, a patriot League school now.

If an athlete prove themselves worthy for Harvard or Yale by Sr. year I am sure a place will can be made for them. You do have the power don't forget it.