Originally Posted by Anonymous
I think your nuts but congrats to your kid who has a good head on his shoulders. Be real man not alot of kids are that focused. I have four and only one knew what he wanted to do. They are all athletic and played hs lax. Just because a kid makes a verbal doesn't mean alot in most cases. If you were a kid wouldn't you want to go to duke or ND? Who wouldn't. Maybe two out of ten really know what they want to do. Don't try to encourage people to tell their kid oh that's great. Your leaving out alot of info. You could probably afford it but others may not. That's just for starters. If I have to explain the rest to you then you have problems. What's good for one may not be good for others so put a lid on it. People like you would make other kids feel like crap nd you would enjoy it I'm sure. Think before you speak. Happy easter. Go say a prayer for those less fortunate. Tone it down a bit.

I really don't get when people say that the kids don't know what they want to do. Most of these big schools have great business programs, science programs and liberal arts. You need graduate/secondary schooling in most cases to go on to be a lawyer, dr, teacher, journalist, therapist, etc. You may be able to land a job in business at an entry level spot, but many go for their MBA as well. It's not like these kids are choosing schools that don't have well established programs that will meet the interests and goals of 95% of incoming freshman. Plus, come sophomore year when you declare a major many kids are still undecided and choose a major that they will not end up working in ever.

I personally think if you are offered a sizable chunk off of any decent school, it's a win! I agree with the previous poster as well- only thing to say to an early commit is congratulations.