Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
While intentions are good, I'm not seeing this passing as it is near impossible to enforce. What if a kid has a brother or sister that plays for a school (Junior, go stand over there)? What if a kid is visiting a school and runs into the coach (Sorry, kid, you're ineligible and I'm gonna be sanctioned)? How can a coach run a camp with kids who haven't entered their junior year (uh, they can't. . .good bye assistant coaches!!!)? If a coach isn't returning your call, it's for a reason and for a reason that may change down the road...no amount of rules is ever going to level the playing field. Look at the list of kids who have committed in the 19s and 20s. Have you seen these "kids?" They are not going to get worse, they
are going to try harder, they are not going to get smaller, they are going to hit the gym and challenge themselves to be the best. Educationally, they are going to some of the best schools in the country. I don't know one kid who is lacrosse only, in fact, this has freed up our son's time to play other sports because we're NOT going to every single event, esp. in the fall. I don't know one kid (or parent) who hasn't enjoyed the entire process from start to finish, including their commitment. The "no contact at all" crowd either aren't aware of how this works, or are being blinded by perceived injustices they've endured ("injustices" that may correct themselves down the road), all so that "someone will remember the children." Will kids change commitments? Sure. . .but it will be for reasons that you and I really don't need to care, worry and fret about, i.e. mind your own business. The kids are alright, and are doing pretty darn well for themselves. . .let's keep the nanny-ism to a minimum, please.

While I agree with a lot of what you said if you don't see something wrong with a 12- 13 year old committing 9 years of their future to a life in the military than you are just refusing to look at both sides . Great school and honorable thing to pursue but can a kid really have any idea what that committment is .

My son is going to one of the Academies and he has known he wanted to do that since he was 6 or 7 years old. Fact is most of the kids that attend the Academies have wanted to do that since they were in Elementary School. It takes a special commitment that shows at a real young age.