Originally Posted by Anonymous
Any one have any real life experience with D3 recruiting? Particularly, NESCAC schools? Timeline, strength of coach support for admission, etc. Any information would be helpful.
Sort of second hand info, gleaned from some families who have been through it at NESCACs. My understanding is that coaches typically can get 2, maybe 3, kids in with what most NESCACs call "tip ins", kids close academically but need the help to get over the bar.
I do know you need be careful because with only a limited number of tips, and a bunch of spots to fill, coaches have been known to give the impression that admission is highly likely, given 'so-and-so's' application and qualifications, I know more than one kid who got the Don't Worry talk, only to never get in.
Best way to get around the coaches limited constraints is to try and find a path to an influential alum who can help. Say your not the coaches future AA, and he's going to use his tips on others, but he'd love to have you on team if you can get in. Try and find the alum who can help. I'm certain how Amherst has filled a few slots with kids who weren't going to get in without the added support.
If you are going to go that route though, make sure you don't burn the guy and then decide Dartmouth is coming back!