Originally Posted by Anonymous
People are on here questioning why an extremely talented 2020 would early commit, while I'm guessing he got a pretty substantial commitment from PSU.
The one's I don't quite understand are the 15+ 2019s committing to Maryland. (A similar state school to PSU, btw.) So far there are 7 Middies and 3 FO/M. Are they committing just for a chance to try-out? with a good chance of being red-shirted freshman year and possibly the next. I'm guessing 2018 has a similar sized class, which then brings it to how much money is actually available when there are only 12.6 scholarships available per team, with a roster size around 50 the athletic scholarship money can't be much. (I realize there's always academic money)
Again, not sure why some are questioning a full scholarship verbal commitment to PSU and not those who are accepting a rather limited Verbal to Maryland.

As a side note, having gone through this with a baseball son a few years back, what coaches & recruiters always told us "If you could throw a 95mph fastball or hit a 95mph fastball" a school would always be able to 'find' you scholarship money. Unfortunately my son could do neither, and I'm not sure what the lacrosse analogy would be, but even in later years there are slots available, so this whole notion of slots disappearing is not quite true for kids who can really play.

Where did it say that this kid got a "Full Scholarship"? PSU carries 43 players. I know many coaches like to give something to each kid. That equals about 0.3 of a scholarship or around $14K for out of state tuition of $48K.

I don't think it ever did, anywhere. Just speculations on such an early valuable commit. Lets not blow that out of proportion, only the family and school will truly know what was offered to them.
Yes, I shouldn't have speculated 'full scholarship' and stuck with 'substantial', but let's be honest, if he's truly the #1 recruit in the country for both 2020 & 2019 as some have said on these forums, then anything less than 95% for such an early top rated recruit is not what I would expect. And I'm speaking in general terms, not even this particular player/family. Would go for any Top 5 recruit in any sport.

Not true, the very best are getting 50-70% of total cost, I know a few that have been considered the best in their positions and this is what they are getting. Some say full ride because they are getting 100% of tuition, which is not really a full ride. I think any kid that gets upwards of 25% of total cost has done really well.
Agree with this, this has been our experience as well.