I am not sure how this whole scholarship thing works but from what I can understand here is what I think.

The 12.6 is based on tuition not the cost of college like football and basketball where the student/athlete gets the full cost of college (tuition, room and board and books) . So even if a lax player got a "full Ride" it would be full tuition.

So a school with a $40,000 tuition and is fully funded would have $504,000 to spend for the entire team per year (based on a 5 year average) so they can go over one year but they have to go under another year to keep the rolling 5 year average at 12.6 x Tuition.

The three types of money available to most students are academic, athletic and need based (besides the various scholarships available) you can combine athletic and academic or need based and academic but you can not combine need based with athletic money.

Depending on the school you can have anywhere from 60 to 90% of all students receiving some money (need or academic or both) and I know of many D1 lacrosse players getting "Full Rides" and what I always took that to mean is that when you add the athletic money and the academic money you get close to equal the amount of tuition. They still have room and board and books that could be around $15,000 depending on the school.

If a lax kid was getting a full cost of college scholarship then it would count almost 1 1/2 of the 12.6 not 1 of the 12.6

The academies are not scholarship by any stretch of the imagination, the cost of going to West Point or Annapolis is far greater then the monetary cost of a non academy.

I would not be shocked if some of my points area off but I think I have the gist of it correct, please correct if I misspoke