Originally Posted by Anonymous
This system needs to be fixed, there is NO way any 8th, 9th or even 10th grader knows what they want in college. I know lots of people will jump on here and say "my kid knows, and always wanted to go to ____". And, maybe that is true, but I really don't think they have ANY idea what they are actually signing up for. I don't get it, the kids/parents have all of the power, if people started saying "I'm not ready" this crazy process would slow down. IMO if you haven't had some AP courses, taken your SATs and played a year or two of varsity, you cannot realistically make a decision on a college. I just don't get it. But I am assuming, when you see 8th and 9th graders "committing" it is so the can brag about it, not because it is actually a decision that they feel good about.

Well, there is the financial benefit as well. Securing a spot at a good school. Knowing what you have to do to get into the school that the young man committed to. So, yes I agree it's crazy, but if Duke came calling, I'm not saying no.