Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'd expect several more firings and job openings. My question is who are all the new qualified coaches to take these jobs? The assistants who have been the early recruiting bozos? Club guys who have been throwing out lousy / unsightly fundamentals club ball for college placement services? I'm getting really concerned that the college sport will be dominated by only a small few programs run by guys who are actually great coaches, then a huge garbage pile after that.

I've been around this sport for almost all of my 53 years and this was the first year where I went to D3 games and saw teams that could compete with or bear D1 teams. Many of coaches are obviously unable to develop talent. I question now whether or not Starsia and Petro ever did know how or if they just appeared smarter years ago when they could out talent other programs and roll a ball out. These programs are obviously recruiting poorly too. One of the things that struck me watching UVA this year was their body language leaving the field after a game. 45 individuals. And talent wise more than 30 of them didn't belong in that uniform anyways. Hopkins is now a program ever 5-6 kids quit every fall. What kid spends his whole youth chasing this and quits at the end of fall ball? Hopkins has some serious character issues in their program. Petro is a great guy but don't sell me that he recruits well and coaches to the talent. He's gotten a few more stars like the Stanwicks and Tinney,, but then again Starsia has been about as lucky there too over the last several years. It's getting to a point where I don't see how a kid dreams of being a Hoo or a Blue Jay anymore.

Wow, really? Do yourself a favor, go to a high school recruiting tournament this summer and stand in the parking lot and take a poll of the kids coming out. I guarantee you 99 out of 100 of them would trade one of their siblings for a shot to play at either UVA or Hopkins. Yes their programs might be down, but they are both historic programs and excellent academic institutions. Hopkins has a tendency to over recruit which explains why kids will quit or transfer but dont fool yourself, its still Hopkins and kids would kill for a shot to play there. UVA is a disaster right now and I firmly believe they need a coaching change. However, to say that kids dont wanna go there is silly, its still UVA.

I do go to these things with my youngest. Of course all the 14 year olds want to go to the school with the cred, the cool uniforms and play on ESPN. And sure they'd sell a sibling. Their parents would likely sell a kin as well for a sexy commit announcement. I think you are missing the part where 14 year olds become college students later, arrive at these programs and barely hang on for fall ball because the coaches are over recruiting to compensate for the fact that the way they recruit is a disaster. Kids who have these values because they are taught them...look how that turns out. Every UVA and Hop player learned only how to hog it for an individual highlight, didn't care about winning club tournaments and cared more about walking around as a college commit over being a high school player. Hopkins and UVA are the two worst coached, underachieving and culturally cancerous programs in the sport now. Sure they are great schools. I have a degree from one of them. But neither school is a good fit for a lax bro who just wants to stay eligible for four years and play ball. Pretty soon the cool destinations can be Ohio State and Penn State if Hopkins and UVA can stay off TV in games that count in May. If I were the AD at either Hop or UVA, I'd fire both coaches tomorrow morning. Let them sit on the other side of the field at middle school club tournaments coaching some club team.