Originally Posted by Anonymous
I totally agree with you. Here's another thought: If these same parents spent their thousands of dollars on math or science extra help, extracurricular courses or summer camps instead of travel lacrosse and clinics, their kids could get a much more valuable academic scholarship, succeed throughout college and then land a high-paying job once school ended. Great math skills can get you very far in life as math builds critical thinking skills necessary for any rewarding career. It's the nerds that make the big bucks, not the athletes. For every successful professional athlete, there are many more successful businessmen in the corporate world. I also don't understand why parents spend so much money on a sport in which there is no chance of earning a living playing it. If your son is a great athlete, steer him towards the sports that pack the stadiums and are on primetime TV. Lacrosse peaks in college and then it fizzles. It's a dead-end sport. I've been to MLL games. D1 (even D2 and D3) college games much more exciting.

I used to agree with what your saying but I'm starting to not believe it anymore. I have a close family friend who's son does extremely well in school. As of right now he is ranked 2nd in his class and has over a 100 weighted average. He is in all honors classes and take multiple ap courses. He also did extremely well on his sat's. He's in some clubs but does not play any sports. He applied to about 10 very good schools including some ivy's. So far he's only got into one school he applied to. There's been at least 5 or 6 that said no or has wait listed him. I know another kid who was a great wrestler in high school and had like a 90 average. He is now a freshman at Harvard. If it wasn't for wrestling he had ZERO chance of going to Harvard.