Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Head over to IWLCA and see what they posted yesterday about recruiting loophole at camps and clinics. Didn't they think of that?

I guess they didn't. The whole proposal makes no sense.

If a verbal commitment was always:

1-subject to change and truly non-binding till the athlete signs their NLI or better yet, actually steps foot on campus; and
2- always contingent on an athletes ability to make it through the admissions process for their university of choice

Isn't the whole verbal commitment thing like a brokered promise and way overblown - Player- "I want to come to your school and play for you". Coach - "I like the way you play so if you get thru admissions we'd love to have you".

Look at the recent de-commits from Hopkins as an example - de-commit there - commit elsewhere - who cares. Ty Zanders reports that stuff all day long, that's what makes him relevant. Maybe he should be posting the GPA of said STUD athlete as well when announcing this stuff. The players still needs to get through admissions. Coaches either evaluated right and it works out, or they didn't and the kid -doesn't make it into the school or on the field to help the coach win. Sometimes that affects their tenure as a coach at said school.

Lastly - why can Lane Kiffin announce a commitment to a grade school kid from Cali to come play football for him? Where is the NCAA protecting the student athlete here? NCAA is all about 2 things - MARCH MADNESS and BOWL GAMES ie $$$$$$$$. Legislating Common Sense is overkill.

This whole thing is about three things:

1. Making sure that certain schools, i.e. Ivies, Duke (I mean, look who started this!?!), ND, etc., still have a chance to get some of the talent before it's "locked down" (which it totally isn't) by another school. It's couched under "keeping the game great" and "slowing things down for our kids" and was fully supported by US Lacrosse. You want a disconnect? Look at the kids they put on their cover of the "ER is stupid" issue v. the kids that really have been ER'ed. NO ONE LOOKS LIKE THAT!! They're mostly all well into adolescence and 6+ feet. Don't believe me? Go to any top tourney.
2. Appeasing the parents of kids who are "suffering" and "stressing out" because the others around them are committing and now they have no shot or they're "late bloomers". Seriously? It's the ultimate in helicopter parenting. I don't like the "rules" so I'll whine and moan and get the "rules" changed (and still watch as my kid isn't recruited....happening all the time in the upperclasses). But but but Ben Reeves was a late bloomer and he went to Yale! He was committed to Hobart as a sophomore and traded up to Yale after Shay came calling. That "no one wanted him" hagiography peddled by the ER detractors and US Lacrosse was ridiculous.
3. Lining the pockets of the coaches with $$$$ at their prospect camps. Have you been to one? There are 150+ kids there shelling out 165 bucks for the "chance" to be seen and now "the only way to interact with college coaches." So, you take away my ability to speak with a coach by shutting down the free (outside of travel expenses) loophole and open up a legitimate loophole with dollars attached? That's some Michael Corleone stuff right there. . .But but but you can't talk about recruiting!!! "Hey kid, you've got a great shot, great footwork, and are a top player" means "expect a phone call"

Whole thing is ridiculous.