Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
12.6 scholarships spread out over a 50 man roster makes me think a coach would have to be an absolute fool to give one player a 100% "full ride" with athletic money. There will be some other shiny penny in the next class and the class after that and the class after that....

Exactly! Giving a "full ride" to one player out of every class of 8 to 10, does not add up. No matter how I try to work the numbers, even with the "new math" - I cannot do it. Even with round numbers of 40 players on the roster - the top player in each class getting the "full package" - leaves 8.6 packages to be divided up amongst 36 players per year. And to ensure a commitment from each of them (NLI) - you have to give a slice.
The numbers do not add up with the round number of 40 - how does it work with an average roster size of 50?

I can't find it now, but there was a quote by the UVA coach a while back where he flat out said he wouldn't consider giving a full athletic scholarship or close to that to any player except maybe the highest rated player in the country provided that he was a position they were weak at.