Originally Posted by Anonymous
Give that a rest. Two things for you to chew on. 1. Over the last 30 years some top D1 football programs have offered kids in 8th grade. I grew up in the same town as Todd Marinovich who was offered in 8th grade and Clausen up the road was offered by USC in 8th grade. Saban has done it twice in the last 8 years. Over decades you can look and there might be a dozen or two total instances like that. I don't know why a football prodigy would be offered but do know a D1 football team has 100 guys and there are 300+ D1 programs, so the notoriety of these prodigies getting offered is quite rare. I'm sure this Connecticut kid is an exceptional one for an 8th grader. So was Todd Marinovich and so was Ken Clausen. 2. Quint isn't being critical of a one-off instance every year or so, he is pointing to something not even close to the same. Lacrosse recruiting is almost entirely concentrated on middle school kids and 9th graders. It is a systemic thing and he is absolutely accurate in his analysis.

Quint is not a hypocrite, a wuss or an idiot because you disagree with him. And he has a lot more credibility than some lacrosse dad in the bleachers like me (and probably like many of you). Early recruiting rewards a few families and kids with recognition and some money to help pay for college. Lacrosse is a 12.6 sport over 45 kids these days, so the instances of the full ride can't be too high a count. I don't know that but common sense does suggest it. Early recruiting is also a bad look for the youth game, for the prep game, for the kids who are made to feel worthless if they are not the special ones when they are 14 (and is a very unhealthy ego inflator for a kid who propped as a special one) and it is a horrible look for the universities. As a graduate of Johns Hopkins with a graduate degree I am appalled.

So complain to Petro.