Originally Posted by Anonymous
As a former UVA student athlete, here is what I wonder about...George Hugely was a bum and a violent drunk for 4 years in that program. The twins, same thing. Nothing but trouble and more trouble. Back in the day in my team and other teams at UVA the teams and guys took care of each other and their team. If there was a cancer on the team the team members and captains would make sure the coaches knew. Nobody wants it. Starsia knew Huguely and the twins were bad seeds the whole way and he did nothing.

I don't want to hear it that he won this many games and championships. None of that matters when you don't do things the right way and you look away when you have kids committing crimes on your team. 2010 wasn't an isolated incident. It was by far the worst and most horrible think imagined, but it was also the outcome of a pattern which was tolerated for years and was a part of the UVA lacrosse culture for decades. Don't late the door hit you on the [lacrosse] on your way out, coach.

That's a powerful post. And makes me think a little bit about how he decries ER and then offers a rising 9th grader in early July.

It will be VERY interesting to see whether the new UVA coach is an ER guy or not. As someone whose kid would be in-state, I hope not.

Kills me to write this, but Frank Beamer at VaTech always said the first pillar of any great college program is recruiting the state. Your program is always better when you respect that fact that if there are in-state kids you could recruit, you want to always keep a wicked bias toward them. Those are the kids who grew up rooting for the Hoos and would appreciate wearing the jersey and give more of themselves. My UVA teams in another sport always had a few walk-ons from the Quantico base. O'Connor is the baseball coach and he believes in this too. Tough and straight military brats who were tough s.o.b.'s. I went to a UVA lacrosse game this spring and that was obviously a group of 45 individuals. That would never happen if you had glue guys, character guys, guys who only want to be a part of UVA success. Blow that sh$t up and start over. Doesn't mean a thing they are loaded with IL ranked recruits and UA All-Americans. That means nothing. Starsia doesn't get it, he always thought he could out talent everybody with LI and Baltimore kids and look at them now. Next guy needs to be someone who cares about the state. Can't be any other way.

I guess that is why ND is always going to be special, everyone if from there and they have God watching the games.