Originally Posted by Anonymous
The amount of lies on this board about ER is ridiculous. I've had both my sons commit to top schools as a sophomore and freshman. Nobody is taking their scholarship away. Their classes weren't over committed and nobody got dropped by graduation. Do I think kids should commit that early , no. But kids will go where there talent takes them regardless of ER. Whining and lying about the current process does nothing except make you look small and jealous.

Jack straw- your posts are not helpful, and almost always defensive or antagonistic.
TREND - early committed HS players are deciding to decommit as JR or SR years.
Biggest Factor- Kids often cave to the pressure, (directly or indirectly) from parents or peers, to be done with the process. Why else would kids rush to commit to colleges offering little money, and to colleges that are not an academic admissions reach?

(Other than the obvious IVY, Duke, and ND type choices) - the best advice is to stay patient, and weigh all your options later. If you are a good athlete, and good student - you will have plenty of options.

I love the parents that push their kids to those shiny brand name "academic admissions reach" schools as opposed to picking schools where they can succeed and thrive. Recently, I've seen too many transfers from those academic reach schools. The way we've always approached it for all our kids was to put a list together of schools they are interested in. Then let them decide within that list. We can go brand name shopping later when looking for a grad school.

So you think your academically challenged kid who picked a low level undergrad so they can thrive will now be ready for one of those reach graduate programs after 4 ( maybe 6 in this case) years at nonsense university , now that sounds like a solid plan .

Reads to me like the poster was writing just the opposite of what you are writing. Check his post again. The way I read it you are disagreeing with what you agree with.