Originally Posted by Anonymous
This system needs to be fixed, there is NO way any 8th, 9th or even 10th grader knows what they want in college. I know lots of people will jump on here and say "my kid knows, and always wanted to go to ____". And, maybe that is true, but I really don't think they have ANY idea what they are actually signing up for. I don't get it, the kids/parents have all of the power, if people started saying "I'm not ready" this crazy process would slow down. IMO if you haven't had some AP courses, taken your SATs and played a year or two of varsity, you cannot realistically make a decision on a college. I just don't get it. But I am assuming, when you see 8th and 9th graders "committing" it is so the can brag about it, not because it is actually a decision that they feel good about.

Actually - that is where you are a little off in your assumptions. My 9th grade daughter knows exactly what she wants to do and is very mature for her grade. She has already taken her PSAT's and will be signed up for her SAT's next fall. If we can find time to schedule in some sort of SAT prep class this spring along with drivers-ed, we should be good to go. Right now she's mulling over several offers from various schools and should be decided soon. Fortunately - most of the schools are within easy driving distance from Baltimore, so she can take herself to their camps this summer.

Uhmmm. How will your rising 10th grader have her full license this summer?? So she's a 16 year old 9th grader?

Maryland has different driving rules than NY

You have to be 16 1/2 to drive in Maryland. My son is 16 1/2, and he's in 11th grade here in NY.

Ok, we'll be able to sleep now, thanks

Hilarious the amount of holdbacks there are in MD.. HILARIOUS!!