Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
12.6 scholarships spread out over a 50 man roster makes me think a coach would have to be an absolute fool to give one player a 100% "full ride" with athletic money. There will be some other shiny penny in the next class and the class after that and the class after that....

Exactly! Giving a "full ride" to one player out of every class of 8 to 10, does not add up. No matter how I try to work the numbers, even with the "new math" - I cannot do it. Even with round numbers of 40 players on the roster - the top player in each class getting the "full package" - leaves 8.6 packages to be divided up amongst 36 players per year. And to ensure a commitment from each of them (NLI) - you have to give a slice.
The numbers do not add up with the round number of 40 - how does it work with an average roster size of 50?

Not every program will do this, it will be a stretch for a program trying to land a top 25 kid in the nation, there are over 100 programs, so obviously it happens only for select few. Every school will approach this differently and you would be surprised to find out that many entering athletes will take very low offers just to be at a program or certain school, leaving larger sums for #1,2,3 key recruits each year. Recruit 10-12 per year, take care of your top three, the rest may never even see the field.