Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The tipping point with this passing was probably when clubs, parents and college coaches showed they did not have the good sense to stop early recruitment at 9th grade. No matter how talented a player is, there is no reason he/she needs to be deciding on college as a middle schooler, except that the club directors and parents are in a race for bragging rights. The insane actions of some have now resulted in restrictions for a larger group. Freshman year and even sophomore year is plenty early to begin the recruiting process. To the person who is about to comment that I'm just jealous my kid was not good enough to be recruited early - I have a 2020 who verbally committed a few months ago.

Sorry disagree. Don't understand why its anybodys business when a parent/student commits. Some commit early and some don't. The vast majority commit 10th-11th grade. But because some jealous/uninformed people extolled the negatives of early commits we have the NCAA determining when parents/kids can talk to coaches. So why the need for a rule that is virtually un-enforceable.

It is needed because extreme ER is not in the best interest of most kids or the culture of youth sports. What is the disadvantage of a super star 7th or 8th grader waiting until high school to begin recruiting? Are you afraid other kids will catch up to your early bloomer or reclassified kid and he will no longer stand out as much? Personally, I would have preferred that clubs, parents and college coaches showed some common sense so the NCAA didn't feel the need to step in to pass special rules for lacrosse - let parents and their high schoolers decide when they are ready to begin the recruiting process - but it was needed given the direction things were continuing to go.