This is not directed at the author of this post but just being said in general to the string of posts re money and travel costs and scholarships in general. Is it possible, and call me crazy here, that you as the parent throw money at the game because your kids love it. They love the camaraderie of playing with friends, they love the competition, the love to be the best they can be at something (and even if that includes just being an average player on a high school team or travel program), they love the overnights with friends at hotels and the life long friends they will make. I could go on. Everyone makes this about Division 1 scholarships or beign recruited or going "pro". I will tell you, I competed in Division 1 in another sport (with a little bit of scholarship money but definitely no where near what my parents spent on my years of athletic participation), and at my wedding 3/4 of my friends were from my high school and college team. I didn't go pro or make money in my sport but some of the my best memories from high school and college were with my teammates. To this day we share stories and get together for drinks and BS about about the good, the bad and the at times UGLY times we had as athletes. Again, call me crazy but everyone on this list always comes back to the 8-10k one will make professionally or the 20% scholarship. That talk is just silly, for me the money is well spent and the day my son wants to quit because he doesn't love it (as long as it is not mid-season bc I wont let him quit on his friends, coaches or teammates) then he quits. Cei la vie. One final note, if my son plays up until his senior year and it doesn't get him one nickel in scholarship money but helps him get into a college he may have not been able to get into -- again worth all the money! And if he then stops playing, joins a frat or the drama club, all will be good. I will just hope that he has the memories of playing travel sports because they can be GREAT!

Sorry for the long post but I just the priorities on this forum are out of wack sometimes.