Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Kid is good - no surprise. I don't get committing to a school like UNC when he could have gone anywhere (ND, Duke, Ivy, etc.). To each his own ....

This is where guidance by a parent is imperative. This kid is good enough to commit yet picks the school that just happens to be current D1 champs. No one can say how much more he will develop in the next couple of years. Depending on his academic status and projected future potential in the class room; its a parents responsibility to guide the student athlete to the best fit possible. Perhaps in this case; UNC was a good choice if the parameters where all weighed in.

Our early commit was just as good in the classroom as on the field and we thought a shot at IVY was in his best interest as long as he stayed the course wrt both aspects.

We sat as a family and looked at all the pros and cons of each school and what he liked about them and if it fit into what he thought might be a place where he could pursue numerous academic options. He chose IVY and we stressed that at any moment if he thought it was too much pressure; that he could change course. So far so good...one year away from his goal now and more happy with his choice than when he made it.

I fall on the other side of this argument , I think it really depends on what your kid wants to do. If you are doing business/finance then going Ivy makes sense to me ,other than that not really. Difficult to justify 250000 in debt compared to 60000 or less. If you are a good enough student to do well at an Ivy you will most likely excel at a UNC or similar and if you plan on going to grad school then go Ivy then. I went to an Ivy med school and more students than not were non ivy undergrads.If you qualify for financial aide an Ivy education is a home run but many kids from Long Island will get essentially none.