Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'm surprised that your friend's son school acceptances are going tougher than expected with that perfect grade average and high SATs. Can his lack of sports be the only reason? Hard to believe but your story about the wrestling kid confirms it. I'm glad to hear it helped him get into Harvard.
I'm surprised that your friend's son school acceptances are going tougher than expected with that perfect grade average and high SATs. Can his lack of sports be the only reason? Hard to believe but your story about the wrestling kid confirms it. I'm glad to hear it helped him get into Harvard.

I don't believe that. Last year a girl in our high school, a public school in a small neighborhood, made it into 4 Ivy League colleges with academics only. Look at the kid from elmont who got into every Ivy League school. Only academics. People want to believe the "you need sports" because they have to make themselves feel better. Maybe your friend didn't get the SAT score he says he did
The Elmont kid was a highly academic black Nigerian immigrant, who founded a mentoring program that was regionally recognized. It was his ethnicity and his recognized accomplishment that got him into all Ivies, not purely his academics.

Ughh, I think it was 99% Ethnicity. Do you have any idea how many white kids have much better grades and accomplishments and can't get into one Ivy???? The reverse discrimination is down right disgusting at this point.

His race is certainly why he got into all those schools; in this particular case, however, he seems very deserving.