Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Hey sport. My rising junior is still 15. Not defending the hold back practice just correcting the poster claiming the majority of MD 9th graders are 16. That is a patently false statement. The original post commented on 17 yr old 2019 on UA south roster. UA south is not MD. It's Fla, Ga etc.

Ok let me clarify, clearly the majority of your top kids are holdbacks playing down. That "Sport", is a fact. The majority of the starting kids on your top three travel teams in 2017, 2018 and 2019, are beyond a shadow of a doubt, playing down. Not sure why? I can only assume that they could not compete with the best at the same age from the rest of the country.

I think Ryan McClernan always has a few and loud examples of on age kids on teams 8th grade and up. The term I wrote was most. My DC area son is on age. He's one of only 3 on age kids in his class on his high school team out of 11. I would call this widespread. Anyone who says that holdbacks aren't an epidemic in Baltimore and in the DC area are absolutely misinformed or they are just lying.

Finally, an honest assessment of the DMV lacrosse teams. For years people from MD, Pa and Mass have been trying to say that their teams "catch up" to the highly skilled teams from LI, i.e. the Turtles, Extreme and now Crush. Nothing could be further from the truth, they don't get any better, they just get 1 to 2 years older, come rising freshman and sophomore time.