I dont think the college coaches passed this because they'd rather talk to club coaches than the kids themselves. So if you think it will be business as usual I think that is incorrect.

They passed this initiative because they are tired of running around the country looking at 8th and 9th graders who may or may not pan out. It is expensive for the programs and totally unpredictable. However, it had been a nuclear arms race where everyone felt like they needed to do it to keep up. Even the Syracuse coach who led the charge and was so against early recruiting was out there committing rising 9th graders. At the end of the day, they are making this change because it is in their best interest. It simplifies their lives and takes some of the guess work out of recruiting. Much easier to look at a junior and make a judgment than it is to look at a hot shot 8th grader and do the same. Now these guys are also heavily invested on the showcase and camp side so it will be interesting to see how that market is affected by this. Also will name brand showcase events like Jake Reed, Showtime, Philly Freshman Showcase, etc. become less relevant for the younger kids if you can't be recruited until Junior year??? I would think Fall and Summer of sophomore year will now be a huge window to be noticed. Will be a lot of pressure to be on the best team at the best events to be seen during the critical window.