Originally Posted by Anonymous
"It means nothing". Really?? . Spoken like parents who's son is not even remotely on anyone's radar as the heavy early recruiting season comes to an end. Recognized and rewarded for all the time, effort and money dedicated by both the player and their family over the years is certainly not nothing. Beyond the limited dollars towards a great education because so few verbals are broken by the school it means.. work ethic, commitment, purpose, leadership, dedication, community, spirit, accountability etc etc If and only if you and your family get invited to "the process" and spend and entire day with the coaches and academic advisors, will you appreciate the magnitude of the opportunity. I Promise you there is not one family who has received a "verbal" over the years who thinks it's "nothing"

As someone who was a college athlete and as a parent of one son who just completed 4 years as a college athlete at an Ivy, I find your post very offensive.

All that dedication, hard work and commitment...through 8th or 9th grade? Seriously?

Let me drop a little perspective on you. 90%+ of non revenue college athletics is mental resolve. The stands at most games aren't full. Training and travel schedules are demanding and really cut into a kid's academic and social life. To show you are remotely prepared for that and deserve a shot I think kids show show some endurance in their high school years. Grow mentally and physically through your junior year, show a good academic record, show how you can juggle something other than lacrosse...summer jobs, music or arts endeavors, student newspaper...something. I know this ship has sailed for lacrosse. I can say these coaches recruiting 14, 15 year olds will be burned more often than rewarded, but that will take some more time.