Originally Posted by Anonymous
I didnt say it was the driving factor, I said it obviously played a part in the decision making process. Reading comprehension not a strong point there Hillary? I also cleary stated in my post that any kid that chooses to go to a service academy should be commended, so relax yourself. Also I think It would be interesting to see the percentage of kids that verbal to a service academy that actually graduate and go on to serve.

Folks, I went to an Academy, and it was part of my/my parents dream as I entered HS. Honestly, it was a bit of the little boy who wanted to be GI Joe and my parents brainwashing me as all good parents do.

But back then if you don't go into HS with an idea that you want that kind of life, you don't end up properly prepared with the right extra curricular activities (not all sports) and class work.

It is very tough to just decide one day when you are 17 that you are going to do it, you have to start thinking about it very early. I knew about the commitment but had no idea that it was tuition free until I was probably a Sophomore heading into Junior year and honestly was happy that it relieved a burden on my working class parents.

Now, I know that a lax player can just walk into it because the Coach will help, but I don't think that people realize how early you still have to buy into the program if you want one of the Academies as a real option.